Sweet buns with butter filling
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cane sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp softened butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes (either soften at room temperature or microwave for about 20 seconds)
1 cup whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 500F and place rack on the upper-middle position (this will help give the scone tops a golden color).
2. In a food processor, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and pulse until combined. Add butter to dry ingredients and mix until butter is incorporated and no large chunks remain. The mixture should resemble sand. Add the flour and butter mixture to a large bowl.
3. In small bowl, whisk milk and eggs. Reserve 2 tbsp of egg milk mixture to brush on tops of scones later. Pour remaining milk egg mixture into the dry ingredients bowl, mixing with a wooden spoon until just incorporated. The dough will be very sticky.
4. Heavily flour your pastry board (about 1/2 cup flour). Knead dough 25-30 times, until the dough forms a smooth ball. Add more flour if needed (I needed more for mine). Roll dough out with a floured rolling pin until 1 inch thick. Using a round pastry cutter 2 1/2 inches in diameter or the rim of a round glass that is of the same size, to cut out scones. Re-roll dough scraps and repeat. Place scones on baking sheet, brushing tops with milk mixture.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 425 F and bake scones for about 12-15 minutes, until tops are golden brown.